Monday, May 17, 2010

Time out for women....

http://deseretbook.com/images/speakers/86/Chieko_Okazaki.jpgChieko Okazaki was kinda the reason we ended up in Toronto for Time out for women...My friend really wanted to hear her talk and well let me say I thought she was well worth crossing the Canadian boarder for. Though Of course I made Heather drive. Sorry Heather...But thank you I have boarder Issues ever since the Jelly incident. But we won't talk about that. Plus as it turns out Heather has one of those innocent faces and Boarder people seem to just love her!
As for Time Out, I could have probably lived without the music. Honestly Micheal McLean kinda drives me nuts...Sorry Micheal loves... I think he can speak and tell good stories but some of his Hokey songs just push me over the edge of reason.

And Mark Mabry also wasn't really my favorite, his pictures kinda freak me out and he really wasn't that great of a "talker". So I checked out the books during his talk Sorry Fans of his.

The next day I had loosened up a bit and felt more able to laugh with a big group of Canadians, Even though Tim Hortons doesn't take anything but Master Card, which I still think is dumb...They take American currency though.. Go figure!
Mercy River, was the musical Talent for the day, and although they surely could sing better than Micheal, They still kinda annoyed me. Mostly the times when the tried Monologue-ing . Just stick to singing girls! Side note is that the Blonde chick lived next to Adam and his family and according to Julie she had a crush on Adam. But Alas it wasn't meant to be and Adam had no idea anyway! But I went up and met her and she was very nice and even claimed to have heard that Adam was now a dentist and was impressed at our having 3 children. I did like some of their song though Hello Sunshine is a favorite and I think it fits nicely here in Buffalo.
Brad Wilcox was my favorite speaker of the day, His talk was so powerful to me, I felt like it was equally enlightening, and uplifting. I just loved it! I can't even begin to summarize what he said but it was Lovely.
Mariama Kallon wasn't there in real life, but they had a taped talk from her, and I have to say I was so amazed by what this woman has been through, She made me remember how Very blessed we all are and how for the most part our trials are really not that bad, she was Raised in war-torn Sierra Leone, she witnessed the violent murders of parents and siblings and spending her youth fleeing from rebels, and I am talking her brothers hands were cut off and her sister raped and her arms and legs cut off...Seriously! Her happy face would never let on to the awful things she lived. Sure makes me want to do better!
And although the other speakers were good, the only other one that really stuck out to me was Emily Watts. She talked about Mother Hope, and one was Hope that our children will progress, and with small children that is a Hope I cling to like glue! She was a sweet lady and I enjoyed her talk a lot too!

Over all it was Super fun, and uplifting. I enjoyed getting away, and probably could have used one more day, but it was an awesome experience. I am thankful for Adam watching the kids and for Heather driving up with me. And making me go for that matter! I can't wait till next year, I am planning to go again, just Not to Canada, and making one more day of it! haha

No comments:

In all of living have much of fun and laughter. Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured. President Gordon B. Hinckley